Sunday, December 25, 2011

Cooking the Greek Way

Cooking the Greek way means drinking while you cook, including your guests in the preparation, using sinful amounts of olive oil on everything, and dipping from the same bowl. Laugh if you must, but those are the facts as I see them.


Unlike Italian food where a lot of things are saturated in cheese, Greek food is saturated in olive oil. Actually, the Greeks have a saying that their food should be "swimming" in olive oil, and it does. Oftentimes when guests are watching the preparation of the food, they gasp at the amount of olive oil that is used.


Despite the large amount of olive oil that is used in preparation of Greek dishes, the Greek diet is considered one of the healthiest diets in the world today. The Greek diet consists of cheese (goat cheese), spices like oregano, basil and garlic, pork, fish, lots of fruits and vegetables, and a healthy dose of alcohol (for drinking). Yes the Greeks love to eat large meals with friends, family and any who want to join them. Afterward there is dancing and laughter. Maybe the laughter and dancing contribute more to the health of the culture than does the content of the food. Either way, the food is excellent and the culture is friendly and warm.


It's funny to me that people often assume that because I am Greek, all I cook and eat is Greek food. In fact I may not actually cook enough but when I do, I am a pasta lover. I just can't help it. However, when going to parties or entertaining, I alway find myself falling back on my standard Greek fare. Yes, it is often that I show up with hummus in hand and a side of fresh warm pita. The truth is people really do love hummus. Fresh hummus. And that is why I keep bringing it. It keeps on pleasing.


What I've discovered is that while Americans seem to be quite familiar with Italian and Mexican cuisine, Greek cuisine is oftentimes overlooked or misunderstood Greek food is simple, tasteful, healthy and no harder to make than any other type of food. For example, Greek hummus can be made in under five minutes and is healthier by far than a spinach and artichoke dip


I have often wondered how a simple Greek hummus dish can create such a splash. Do they think I've slaved over it? Surely not. Why is it that people do not make their own hummus when it really is so easy? I'm not sure if it's because they don't know how to make hummus or because they assume it is difficult to make. It really is simple to make hummus. So find a recipe you like and give it a try. It may become your new favorite take-along dish.


Whether it's hummus you're making or some other wonderful Greek dish, my best advice to you is don't be afraid of the olive oil. Use plenty. Your taste buds will thank you and so will your heart. And rather than having everything prepared prior to guests arriving, try including them in the preparation of the meal. When friends come to eat, it's common to share a glass of wine in the kitchen while chatting over pureeing garbanzo beans. It creates a warm, welcoming atmosphere that leaves an impression on the guests and contribute to a favorable, memorable dining experience and is considered cooking the Greek way.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | JCpenney Printable Coupons